Happy Diwali to you and your loved ones!
As we inch towards the end of 2020, and it becomes that time of the year to make resolutions for the New Year…we all must endeavour to recognize the insidious threat to our health that Diabetes poses.
We all know someone or have a family member who is affected by Diabetes. This is not a ‘modern’ disease, though it definitely is a lifestyle disease! Young or old, all are potentially threatened by Diabetes! It is an inescapable reality, that the years ahead will have non communicable diseases such as Diabetes and Hypertension in store, for most of us.
Simple lifestyle measures have been shown to be effective in preventing or delaying the onset of Type 2 Diabetes.
To help prevent Type 2 Diabetes and its complications, we all should:-
- achieve and maintain a healthy body weight;
- be physically active – doing at least 30 minutes of regular, moderate-intensity activity on most if not all days of the week. Keep in mind that more activity is required for weight control;
- eat a healthy diet, avoiding sugar and saturated fats;
- avoid tobacco use – smoking increases the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- cut down on consumption of alcohol.
Diabetes is not about sweetness of your foods or your personality. Diabetes is about your lifestyle. .
In this festive season,
Prevention is all about Moderation… Think before you eat 😁
You can indulge yourself for sure…. keeping in mind that moderation is key!
Best wishes for the festive season!